Date PostedSeptember 24, 2023
Offered Salary$88000 / year
Expiration dateOctober 12, 2023
We believe technology will play a critical role in enabling the next generation of cash delivery operations: from identifying recipients without needing to knock on doors to a modern payments infrastructure that gets dollars in recipients’ hands faster and more scalably. We are seeking a data associate responsible for designing and implementing our data systems for enrolling and paying recipients.
This role is an opportunity to deepen your project management skills and gain experience writing code. You will own all technology-related aspects of new project launches: working with our operations team to define and implement program requirements, project managing the implementation across multiple stakeholders, and analyzing, structuring, and acting on program data. You are a systems thinker who is comfortable assessing tradeoffs and deriving and communicating data-driven insights. You enjoy learning about technology in a variety of business contexts. You naturally take ownership, can navigate unfamiliar settings, and enjoy both building and managing ops. You can excel at both 10,000 feet as well as in the weeds of complex problems.
This role is fully remote but must overlap with an East Africa timezone by at least 4 hours.
Reports to: Senior Technical Program Manager
Travel Requirement: Ability to travel ~1-2 times per year to one of our countries of operation for team retreats or field visits
What you’ll do:
- Partner with our field operations team to design and operationalize new cash delivery program launches, helping GiveDirectly to reach more people across more geographies
- Build, manage, and implement the technology used to deliver those program launches, from surveys for enrolling recipients to the data model used to store data about payments in Salesforce (our central recipient data store)
- Debug and resolve issues across multiple layers of our technology stack, including Salesforce and our offline survey app
- Scope and manage cross-cutting systems improvements to improve efficiency, scale, and/or recipient experience with mentorship
- Write code (usually Python) for automating and improving our processes
- Own the end-to-end technology of cash transfer projects that build off of standard operational models
What you’ll bring:
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- Language Requirement: English
- At least 2 years of professional experience (we welcome a range of skill sets and backgrounds; related fields could include finance, data analytics, project management, program management, international development, or management consulting)
- Strong data skills: able to leverage tools to extract, clean, manipulate, and analyze data to make operational decisions
- Deep comfort with Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets
- Strong project management experience: experience in managing timelines, stakeholders, and complex deliverables
- Significant interest in technology, systems design and building
- Ability to collaborate inclusively with stakeholders across varied social, national, and cultural backgrounds, including communicating technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Intermediate experience with a programming/statistical language (like Python, R, Matlab, Java, or Apex). Note: this job could include business logic and analysis automation, but it is not an engineering or data science job.
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The United States base salary for this role is $88,000.
This role is fully remote, so if you are not based in the US, we will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary, including bonus
- A robust health benefits plan (exact details will vary by country)
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to [email protected].
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**