Date PostedAugust 13, 2023
Expiration dateSeptember 8, 2023
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Location: This role is fully remote but must overlap with the East Africa timezone by at least 4 hours. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of employment Visas in the U.S. or U.K. at this time.
About this role
The VP, Strategic Operations will serve as a key strategic partner to GiveDirectly’s Executive Director (ED), advising on organizational direction and ensuring org-wide objectives are met. We view being a high-performing, lean org that leads the sector on efficiency and on recipient dignity and agency as a core part of our DNA, and the VP, Strategic Operations will be responsible for maintaining and raising that high performance bar to achieve excellence as we scale. In this role, the VP, Strategic Operations will hold a seat on GiveDirectly’s Executive Committee (ExCo), serving as a key thought partner to ExCo members, driving key decisions, acting on behalf of the ED’s agenda. Responsibilities will include setting, tracking, and reporting on org-wide KPIs; evaluating program effectiveness org-wide (design, impact, efficiency, fraud) and driving system-wide improvements in partnership with ops leaders; communicating strategic vision to the broader organization; and more.
Travel Requirement: 15%
What you’ll do:
- Design and implement strong systems and processes for organizational management
- Build out reporting & planning capabilities and cadence for priority and goal setting, strategic decision making and resource allocation, reflection, and continuous improvement
- Implement new KPI system, get buy-in across org-wide leaders, and implement regular cadence of evaluating and communicating progress
- Support org-wide alignment on performance expectations for each function, and ensure consistent adherence to high performance standards
- Support the development and maintenance of a strong Executive Team and Operating Team culture
- Establish cadence of meeting, in-person meetings, and reporting, as well as the communication channels necessary to ensure leadership team members report high levels of accountability, engagement, and belonging for themselves and others
- Plan and lead all Executive Team and Operating Team meetings, ensuring that the team’s use of time is efficient, aligned with strategic priorities, and appropriately action-oriented
- Implement and enforce system for tracking decision owners and timelines, and accountability measures for making those decisions
- Lead Cross-functional, high-impact Projects/programs as directed by the ED
- Identify and rank pain-points and gaps in current program design, program delivery, and monitoring and evaluation. Develop strategic solutions, and work with functional leads to implement them.
- Implement accountability measures that ensure controls to reduce fraud risk are executed org-wide
- Coordinate interactions amongst and support to the executive leadership team as needed (e.g., lead on setting agendas for offsites, coordinating board meeting preparations, etc).
- Act as hiring manager, on behalf of the ED, for key leadership positions
- Lead proactive identification of issues and successful execution of resolutions
- Identify and elevate those issues about which the Executive Director should be aware and frame/position ideas to resolve the problem/mitigate the risk.
- Facilitate ongoing coordination amongst functional leads, and keep Executive Director informed of progress towards issue resolution
- Communicate strategic vision org-wide
- Serve as a lead author/voice for key internal communications
- Utilize existing/new channels to convey (and ensure understanding of) updates, changes, and charges from the Executive Director’s Office to key leaders and broader organization
What you’ll bring:
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values
- Active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
- Language Requirement: English
- Cash transfer program operations (design, implementation, evaluation)
- Complex stakeholder management (at most senior levels of leadership)
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The United States base salary for this role is $150,000 USD.
This role is fully remote, so if you are not based in the US we will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary, including bonus
- A robust health benefits plan (exact details will vary by country)
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to [email protected].
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**