Date PostedJune 23, 2023
Offered Salary$69000 - $85000 / year
Expiration dateJuly 3, 2023
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Location: Global, Remote. This role is fully remote but must overlap with an East Africa time zone by at least 4 hours.
We are seeking a versatile and innovative Graphic/Web/UI Designer to join our team at GiveDirectly. In this role, you’ll contribute to the design of our website, web applications, print creatives, and a wide range of other assets to support our mission of driving direct giving.
This role requires a high degree of creativity, attention to detail, and project management skills. You will be tasked with creating engaging, easy-to-navigate designs that meet the needs of our diverse audience, from individual donors to large institutions. As a key player in our communications team, your designs will play a critical role in promoting our brand, driving awareness, and empowering recipients.
Reports to: Director of Growth
- Designing and improving the UX/UI for our website and web applications. From product thinking and research to visual design- you will own all aspects of design at GiveDirectly.
- Creating digital assets for our brand, including iconography, typography, templates, and other designs. Less frequently, help on print or PDF templates (i.e. photobooks, reports, decks, etc.).
- Collaborating with internal teams to understand design needs and incorporate feedback into designs. This includes product managers, engineers, stakeholders, executives, etc.
- Ensuring designs are visually compelling, easy to navigate, and adhere to brand guidelines.
- Produce high-quality design solutions through wireframes, visual and graphic designs, user flow diagrams, storyboards, and prototypes.
- Balancing multiple projects and deadlines, prioritizing tasks based on project needs.
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
- 4+ years of professional experience in graphic design, web design, UI design, or a related field.
- Proficiency in design software such as Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, or similar tools.
- Strong understanding of visual hierarchy, layout, information architecture, design principles, UX/UI trends, typography, and user research.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects to ensure pixel perfect implementation.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with a team. Both verbal and written.
- Experience working on a diverse range of projects including web, print, and digital assets.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in the private sector but with a strong interest in social impact work.
- Experience with animation motion graphics.
- Experience designing for diverse cultural contexts or audiences.
- Portfolio showing a variety of work, including print and web, and explaining the design process behind each piece.
- Experience with user testing and designing based on user feedback.
Priority Application Deadline: July 3, 2023
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
The base salary range for someone based in Europe is $69,000-$85,000 USD.
We will share an estimated salary benchmark for the specific country you are based in during the hiring process.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary, plus bonus
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited paid time off (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to [email protected].
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**