Date PostedJanuary 4, 2024
Expiration dateJanuary 31, 2024
is a world-class SEO Content agency. SEO is winner-takes-all, and we make our clients the winners. We produce SEO Content that achieves top rankings for clients at scale.
We are on a mission to be the best in the world at SEO Content. This role plays a key part in our journey towards that goal, and will join our team of SEO professionals who are determined to achieve it.
You’ll be responsible for the very beginning of our content process, including topic selection and writing content briefs, while also contributing to the rest of our SEO services including our SEO Maintenance service, which works to convert underperforming articles into top-ranking content.
Ellipsis is a 100% remote team, and we’ve been fully remote since our first day 6 years ago. We lean into the best things about being remote: we balance collaboration, “Deep Work”, regular team retreats, and we put a lot of work into a supporting and inclusive culture where everyone can do the best work of their careers.
We’re distributed across the world, but our core collaboration hours are GMT/UTC-based. Our team is distributed across the US, Europe, and Asia. We often meet up with colleagues for team meetups and conferences.
Our SEO Content work is branded as , and clients engage us to produce a set number of posts each month on retainer based on an SEO Content strategy we formulate for them which is focused on bringing them impressive results.
With Content Growth, we take care of everything end-to-end, from high-level SEO strategy, keyword selection (which is powered by our proprietary – which was in the New York Times in 2022), content briefs, content production, publication, promotion and link building, rank tracking, and troubleshooting SEO queries.
Ellipsis is growing quickly. We do outstanding work and are building something special. It’s an exciting time to join us.
As our new SEO Specialist, you’ll work closely with our Head of Strategy and SEO, SEO Strategists and Content team, to ensure we deliver amazing, SEO-driven content marketing which gets results to clients.
You’ll be a key part of the Strategy team, joining a team of 3 which currently undertakes a wide range of SEO and strategy responsibilities for clients. Our philosophy is to cover everything it takes in order to ensure we deliver real results, and that means being able to adapt quickly to new processes, work on new ones, and research and understand new principles as they roll out.
SEO Content evolved rapidly in 2023, and we’re expecting more rapid changes in 2024. We’re evolving faster. We’ve been building for nearly 3 years and leverage AI and GPT-4 in our content process. We build on what the AI can do, with our expertise. You don’t need to be familiar with AI SEO but you do need to be happy learning and adapting quickly to the cutting edge.
You’ll be given support from colleagues, but also space to “Deep Work” your best work. You’ll need to be comfortable working independently, working projects through process to completion, and communicating effectively and clearly.
This position can be broken down as follows:
- 40% topic selection and outline writing
- 40% SEO Maintenance (writing/editing) to existing content
- 20% SEO monitoring, reporting and process improvement
This role requires a mix of data and creativity. It will suit candidates who are curious, ambitious, and keen to learn quickly. You need to love working with (and improving) internal processes, and pay meticulous attention to detail. This means that you are proactive with taking feedback on board, love a challenge, and strive for excellence!
You’ll use our FALCON AI to help find excellent, relevant topics which can convert and which the client can rank for when we produce content pieces. You’ll then work with our Content team to produce extremely detailed content briefs for these topics.
Topic selection is incredibly important for us. If we select the right topics for a client, we can get them top rankings. If we select the wrong topics, the client won’t get the ranking. We use our ever-evolving FALCON AI to help with this process. You’ll be working with FALCON to build topic clusters, find the perfect topics, and then create detailed reports for clients explaining why each keyword is a great fit for them.
We produce incredibly detailed content briefs, and you’ll be working on these. Our content briefs aim to capture everything the writer needs to know about a topic. You’ll need to quickly understand topics – typically about SaaS products/businesses – and produce detailed content briefs.
You’ll also help drive our SEO Maintenance process, deeply analysing underperforming client content using our FALCON AI to guide and inform decisions on what needs to be changed and/or updated in order for the content to rank and bring in traffic successfully. You’ll then implement these changes directly into the clients’ sites and monitor for results, reporting on progress and tweaking when and if necessary.
We’ll give you a front-row seat to the future of SEO, the opportunity to learn and progress, and the opportunity to contribute to a world-class process and team. It’s an exciting time and an exciting role!
Requirements: hard skills
- 2-4+ years of SEO, Content and/or digital marketing experience
- Comfortable working with large amounts of data in spreadsheets
- Meticulous attention to detail
- SEO and Content expertise with a desire to learn more
- Significant overlap with GMT/CET (UK/EU) timezones
- Excellent project and task management
- WordPress familiarity (advanced usage desirable but not essential)
Requirements: soft skills
- Fantastic communication skills: Remote work relies on mutual trust, so frequent and clear written communication is essential
- Receptive to feedback and solutions-oriented: We share and learn from each other honestly, openly and easily
- High level of self-awareness: a “people person”: You’ll be dealing with the rest of the Strategy team and clients on a daily basis, so communicating effectively is crucial
- Proven organisational skills: You must be obsessive with deadlines, managing and updating tasks, and totally reliable
- Self-driven work ethic: You need to be self-motivated, comfortable taking the initiative, and see projects through to completion
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in a fully remote-work environment
- Extensive experience working with Excel or Google sheets
- Experience directly managing clients or multiple stakeholders
- Digital marketing agency experience
- Knowledge of the WordPress and SaaS product industry
- Deeper SEO expertise beyond basic keyword research
- Familiarity with remote project management tools like Basecamp
- This is a full-time, 100% remote role. Work from home, or the beach!
- Competitive, full-time salary with pension, benchmarked to UK rates and based on experience. The range for this role is: GBP£27-31k/year
- 28 days of paid holiday
- An additional 1 paid holiday day a year with each year of tenure, up to a maximum of 5 additional days
- 4-day work week, once a month (we are trialing this from January 2024!)
- Regular team retreats (~2 per year); last was Madrid, next is Edinburgh!
- Time and budget for learning and development
- , and
- You’ll work for a sustainable, ethical company: we are aiming to become a B Corp by the end of 2024
The application process
It’s important we find the best candidate for this position, and our selection process will reflect this.
Much of our company Wiki is externally accessible, and you’re encouraged to read through this before applying. . This tells you what we’re looking for and reading this will significantly increase your chance of success!
We’ll review applications on a rolling basis but interviews start after the closing date. There’s thus no benefit to rushing to apply: we will bias heavily towards your application’s answers rather than your CV, and we’d love for you to take your time.
We’re fortunate to receive a large volume of applications. You can make your application stand out by paying special attention to the main responsibilities of this role, and “how to apply”. If you think you’re a fit, or could be a fit – go for it!
We use video calls for interviews. You’ll have video interviews using Google Meet, including with your prospective line manager and the Managing Director.
We understand that this is as much you interviewing us, as the other way round. Throughout the interview process, we’re extremely happy to answer your questions about the business, working here, and the future of the company.
The final stage of our hiring process is a paid test project, which will be similar to work you could expect to do if you were hired. We’ll give you a week to complete the project, but expect that you’ll only need ~4 hours.
Following the completion of trial projects, we’ll ask for professional references from a previous manager and co-worker. We ask candidates to introduce us to their references, for a 10 minute call or email conversation. We then expect to move to make an offer quickly.
We do great work for clients and are building an ethical business that lets everyone do their best work. If you think you could be the next person to join our team, please apply 🙂
How to apply
Please apply through Workable: . We will decide who progresses to the next stage based on the form you submit, and your CV. Please give us a good reason to select you! Taking the time to research the role, , what we do, and what you can do for us will increase your chance of success. Your cover letter is where you have the space to do this.
Ellipsis is an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity.
Whilst we love technology and sit at the leading edge of its adoption (we automate hundreds of thousands of actions a month internally), we want to hear from you rather than from ChatGPT.
We will be screening applications for AI-generated content and will automatically disqualify AI-generated applications.
The deadline for submission is the end of the day, on January 17th 2024. We’ll be in touch with all candidates, following the close of applications.