Date PostedJanuary 17, 2024
Expiration dateFebruary 5, 2024
Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals, who gained more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers. In the past few years, we have seen tremendous change in the ways we work and an unprecedented acceleration in the adoption of AI. This role is an opportunity to work at the forefront and intersection of the future of work.
We’re seeking a qualitative Senior UX Researcher to become an integral part of an accomplished team. In this role, you’ll lead research, collaborating with cross-functional teams of design, content, product, engineering, marketing, and analytics partners to bring the power of insights to Upwork’s design and business decisions. Empowered by a robust design and research culture, you will continuously build a strong understanding of the value our products must deliver to our users and develop insights that bridge the gap between attitudinal and behavioral data. Your work will inform several initiatives, from funnel optimization to creating something from the ground up, helping to shape high-quality experiences for the millions of clients and talent who use our platform daily.
- Be a core User Experience (UX) team member, ensuring User Research helps us meet our strategic business and product experience goals.
- Shape learning objectives and prioritize opportunities in partnership with Design, Product, Analytics, Marketing, and Engineering teams.
- Be responsible for conducting the right research, using the right methodologies, at the right time. Own the research roadmap for your area of focus, as well as the end-to-end planning and execution of research studies.
- Conduct strategic to tactical mixed methods research — from foundational research to deepen our understanding of user journeys and use cases, all the way to concept and usability testing.
- Demonstrate high-quality research practices and enrich our toolkit of methodologies.
- Study our diverse global user base, crafting studies to test designs remotely and in different cultural contexts.
- Lead and participate in Design Thinking workshops, ensuring teams ideate with a user empathy background.
- Translate customer insights into actionable recommendations. Communicate insights within the product and engineering teams in a format that inspires action.
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports, in-person presentations, or facilitation of co-synthesis and workshops.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Proven experience as a UX Researcher in a fast-paced, data-driven company
- Track record of translating business needs into research questions and insights into business impact
- Demonstrable experience guiding teams toward focusing on the most critical research questions to answer and creating mixed-method research plans for responding to them
- Demonstrable experience creating actionable, research-backed foundational UX documents (e.g., Journey Maps, Experience Frameworks, Service Blueprints, etc.)
- Experience with mixed methods (eg. interviews, surveys, testing) and the effective sequencing
of attitudinal and behavioral studies
- Visualization of research insights in ways that go beyond “bullet points” while knowing when to deliver just bullet points
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and extensive experience partnering seamlessly with cross-functional stakeholders
- Experience telling stories that resonate, using words, visuals, and data as needed
- A self-starter, “tinker” attitude that proactively drives explorations
- Proven high bar for quality and attention to detail
- ***Portfolio is required***
How to really knock our socks off:
- Comfortable operating with product ambiguity and able to immerse yourself quickly in new problem spaces
- Support multiple work streams and different initiatives concurrently while connecting dots across all product experiences
- Case studies that demonstrate your research skills with mobile and other emerging technology experiences
- Strong work ethic with the drive and willingness to focus and commit
- A passionate advocate for creating high-quality designs that deliver memorable experiences that users will love
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice