Date PostedNovember 10, 2023
Expiration dateNovember 27, 2023
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we work to change the way the world reads by building the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals, and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.9 M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
Have you heard about our future of work program, Scribd Flex? As a key principle, we embrace flexibility and allow employees, in partnership with their manager, to choose the work-style that best suits their individual needs and preferences. And, we create intentional in-person moments with each other that build culture and connection.
About the Web Core UX Team
Millions of active users discover Scribd and continue to engage with content and build their libraries using our website. This team works across the stack with a strong focus on front-end work. The Web Core UX team is responsible for the core customer experiences on the web including browsing, consumption, library management and SEO. If you’re interested in a high-visibility role where your work will be seen and enjoyed by millions of engaged readers, this is the team for you!
As a Web Core UX Senior Engineer
We’re looking for diverse, well-rounded, communicative engineers to help empower our readers to indulge their curiosities and expand their knowledge by building quality products and user experiences. Our cross-functional squad often involves deep collaboration with other engineering teams, designers, and product managers, so confidence, accountability, and excellent communication skills are extremely important.
Full-cycle software development will be your primary function, but we’ll expect you to contribute in a number of ways, including advising on others’ technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring less experienced engineers. When you are doing software development, you’ll be doing more than just coding a ticket handed to you. You’ll contribute to the code strategy and architecture, implementation, delivery, and operation of systems, end-to-end. You’ll consider testability, upgradeability, scalability, and observability throughout the development process.
• A rich history of coding in modern, consumer-facing web applications
• A focus on creating value for our customers and a user-centric approach
• A desire to continuously improve the quality of the applications you work on, leaving every file touched better than it was • Strong written and verbal communication skills; we’re a remote company with a robust documentation (and Slack!) culture
• A collaborative spirit, as you’ll be working closely with product, design, and back-end engineers to implement features
• Strong opinions, loosely held on standards for front-end architecture and best practices
• Knowledge of APIs to comfortably participate in API design discussions with your server-side teammates
• Experience solving caching, observability, and performance problems in modern web applications
• An appetite to learn and grow professionally
• An appetite to learn and grow professionally
• Passion for making a broad impact on the future and direction of the product
Nice to Haves
• Ruby on Rails experience
• GraphQL experience
• Experience working in a monolithic codebase migrating to microservices/front-ends
• Design System/Component UI library creation and management
At Scribd, your base pay is one part of your total compensation package and is determined within a range. Our pay ranges are based on the local cost of labor benchmarks for each specific role, level, and geographic location. San Francisco is our highest geographic market in the United States. In the state of California, the reasonably expected salary range is between $133,000 [minimum salary in our lowest geographic market within California] to $214,500 [maximum salary in our highest geographic market within California].
In the United States, outside California, the reasonably expected salary range is between $109,000 [minimum salary in our lowest US geographic market outside of California] to $204,000 [maximum salary in our highest US geographic market outside of California].
We carefully consider a wide range of factors when determining compensation, including but not limited to experience; job-related skill sets; relevant education or training; and other business and organizational needs. The salary range listed is for the level at which this job has been scoped. In the event that you are considered for a different level, a higher or lower pay range would apply. This position is also eligible for a competitive equity ownership, and a comprehensive and generous benefits package.
Benefits, Perks, and Wellbeing at Scribd
*Benefits/perks listed may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Scribd and the geographical location where you work.
• Healthcare Insurance Coverage (Medical/Dental/Vision): 100% paid for employees
• 12 weeks paid parental leave
• Short-term/long-term disability plans
• 401k/RSP matching
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Learning & Development programs
• Quarterly stipend for Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort
• Mental Health support & resources
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Referral Bonuses
• Book Benefit
• Company wide events
• Team engagement budgets
• Vacation & Personal Days
• Paid Holidays (+ winter break)
• Flexible Sick Time
• Volunteer Day
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion programs
Want to learn more about life at Scribd? www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
We want our interview process to be accessible to everyone. You can inform us of any reasonable adjustments we can make to better accommodate your needs by emailing [email protected] about the need for adjustments at any point in the interview process.
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, and believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
Remote employees must have their primary residence in: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Ontario (Canada), British Columbia (Canada), or Mexico. *This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.