Date PostedJanuary 31, 2024
Offered Salary$147000 - $191000 / year
Expiration dateFebruary 19, 2024
We are a dynamic, lean, and fast-moving engineering team focused on the consistent delivery of value to delight our customers. We care about the quality of our product, and by working small with a continuous improvement mindset, we aim to leave our code well-tested and better than when we started.
Buffer follows a product-led growth strategy, meaning we offer a comprehensive free plan for customers to use and experience our product, and then we grow through providing enhanced capabilities on our paid plans. We learn through experimentation and make data-informed decisions to inform our next features or enhancements to what we have today.
Our engineering architectural decisions and standards are decided on by the engineers that are closest to the problem. This means that you will, through active participation in one of our working groups (otherwise known as guilds or community of practice), be a part of designing the system that serves our business and customers best.
We pride ourselves in working with a small team mindset, collaborating closely across areas, and putting our customers at the heart of all decisions. We value and reward respectful, empathetic discussion and collaboration when creating solutions. We recognize that each situation is unique, often in subtle ways, and we favor doing what makes sense for that situation over dogmatism.
What you’ll be doing
- You will join the Channels team responsible for core parts of Buffer’s product, including channel connections, scheduling and publishing posts, analytics, and 3rd party integrations.
- You will write and ship high-quality, tested, and efficient code that contributes to Buffer’s goals.
- You will join the engineering on-call rotation and support your team in keeping the light on the services we own by responding to incidents, fixing bugs, and performing day-to-day maintenance operations.
- You will lead frontend direction within the Channels team and contribute to cross-team initiatives defining our frontend engineering standards to improve the consistency and quality of our codebases and processes.
- You will provide technical guidance to your peers through mentoring and code reviews.
- You will instrument data tracking on the features you develop to help analyze usage and adoption after release.
- You will work closely with product managers, designers, and customer advocates to understand the needs of our users and assess the feasibility of various solutions to address these needs.
Helpful skills and experience
- You acted as technical lead, owning the discovery, architecture design, delivery planning, and execution of complex projects, collaborating with other engineering teams and cross-functional peers across the organization.
- You have experience building SAAS products and operating services at scale.
- You are passionate about writing simple, maintainable, and tested code, and you take a balanced approach to product engineering, embracing pragmatism over perfection in your work.
- You are product-minded, meaning you have a strong interest in the product itself. You understand how customers use Buffer and why decisions are made. You empathize with customer needs and are passionate about creating delightful customer experiences.
- You have strong communication and collaboration skills and enjoy sharing knowledge with your teammates.
- We value the depth and quality of your experience over counting years. That said, successful applicants typically have 5+ years of development experience.
Perks and Benefits
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formulaadjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is $147,826 – $191,071 USD.
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you are the happiest and most productive!
🗓 4-Day workweeks: Our schedule is four workdays, with a flexible, meeting-free fifth day for overflow tasks or personal time as you see fit.
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $1000 to set up your home office!
⛺️ Minimum vacation: We ask teammates to take at least 3 weeks per year.
👓 ‘Growth mindset’ fund: Extra money each