Date PostedAugust 3, 2023
Offered Salary$114013 - $179465 / year
Expiration dateAugust 31, 2023
We’re looking for a senior front-end engineer to join us on our mission to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. We’re looking for someone who is product-minded and passionate about delivering performant, accessible and delightful user experiences
At Buffer, we make social media and brand building software for small businesses, creators, and individuals. Our mission is to provide essential tools to help small businesses get off the ground and grow. Through exceptional customer service and uplifting content, we help our customers believe they can succeed and do good along the way.
We’re a fully distributed team, and we’ve always aimed to do things a little differently at Buffer. Since the early days, we’ve had a focus on building one of the most unique and fulfilling workplaces by rethinking a lot of traditional practices. We also default to transparency, so you can read all about our successes and failures along the way on our Open Blog.
Our team is made up of amazing individuals who hail from startups to the theater from all over the world – we value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds and encourage all those who are interested in joining the journey to apply.
We’re united by Buffer’s values, and we celebrate our unique differences. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment and are building a culture where underrepresented groups are welcome and can flourish.
About Buffer Engineering
We are a dynamic, lean and fast moving engineering team focused on the consistent delivery of value to delight our customers. We care about the quality of our product and by working small with a continuous improvement mindset, we aim to leave our code well-tested and better than when we started.
Buffer follows a product-led growth strategy meaning we offer a comprehensive free plan for customers so use and experience our product and then we grow through providing enhanced capabilities on our paid plans. We learn through experimentation and make data informed decision to inform our next features or enhancements to what we have today.
Our engineering architectural decisions and standards are shaped by the engineers that are closest to the problem. Which means that you will, through active participation in one of our working groups (otherwise known as guilds or community of practice), be a part of defining standards and best practices at Buffer.
We pride ourselves in work with a small team mindset, collaborating closely across areas and putting our customers at the heart of all decisions. Our product teams are made up of engineers, product managers and designers who collaborate closely with customer advocates, and marketing managers.
What you’ll be doing
- You will write and ship high-quality, tested and efficient code that contributes to Buffer’s goals.
- You will contribute to defining our front-end engineering standards to improve the consistency and quality of our codebases and processes.
- You will provide technical guidance to your peers through mentoring and code reviews.
- You will work closely with product managers, designers and customer advocates to understand the needs of our users and assess the feasibility of various solutions to address these needs.
- You will instrument data tracking on the features you develop to help analyse usage and adoption after release.
Helpful skills and experience
- You are passionate about writing simple, maintainable and tested code. You take a balanced approach to product engineering, embracing pragmatism over perfection in your work
- You are product-minded, meaning you have strong interest in the product itself. You understand how customers use Buffer and why decisions are made. You empathise with customer needs and are passionate about creating delightful customer experiences.
- You have strong communication and collaboration skills and enjoy sharing knowledge with your teammates
- We value the depth and quality of your experience, over counting years. That said, successful applicants typically have 5 years + of development experience.
Buffer Perks and Benefits
💰 Competitive salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. Our salary range for this role is $114,013 to $179,465 USD. Try our Salary Calculator to estimate your Buffer salary!
🏝 Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like. See where Bufferoos are around the world at our Team Map!
🗓 4-Day workweeks: Our schedule is four workdays, with a flexible, meeting
free fifth day for overflow tasks or personal time as you see fit.
💪 Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US.
💻 Home office setup: Get a laptop + $1000 to set up your home office!
👓 ‘Growth mindset’ fund: Extra money for learning and development.
⛺️ Minimum vacation: Unlimited vacation, but at least 3 weeks/year!
💵 Savings plan match: With 3% company match
📈 Profit sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits!
🍼 Family leave: 16 weeks of family leave for all new parents, fully paid
📚 Free books: Get a free Kindle and all the free books you like – digital, physical, and audio – anytime.
🏝️ Sabbaticals: Take a 6-week break, fully paid, after every 5 years with Buffer.
Apply for the Job
Do you believe you’re a fit for this role and want to join the Buffer team? We’d love to hear about you!
At Buffer, we value diversity of experience, and we understand that comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team. So, if your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.