Date PostedSeptember 11, 2023
Expiration dateSeptember 30, 2023
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
This is a 100% remote role, we’re ideally looking for someone based in the EMEA timezone.
An overview of this role
Engineering Managers in the Quality department are motivated and experienced leaders who grow our test automation efforts across the entire GitLab ecosystem. You demonstrate a passion for high quality software, strong Engineering principles and methodical problem solving skills. There’s a lot happening in the Quality team at the moment, in particular as we start to broaden out the remit and include some infrastructure-focused work!
The team is responsible for all testing needs within our CI, CD and Sec sections of the product sections. The CI, CD sections are responsible for (as name suggests) all the pipeline efficiency efforts. Along with the dev section, this area is very vast, containing multiple repos outside of the GitLab monorepo.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of experienced SET’s
- Identify process improvements and work with your peers and leaders to enact change
- Participate in deeply technical conversations with Engineers on topics like architecture and maintenance
- Work on and execute a plan with your fellow EM’s to build more infrastructure skills within the Quality team
- Work asynchronously with our globally distributed team
What you’ll bring
- Strong experience directly managing teams of 5+ people
- Strong technical understanding of the SET craft, with the ability to have deep technical discussions with your team
- Experience leading an SET team who were also responsible for test infrastructure, ideally with tooling like Terraform and Kubernetes
- Demonstrated experience working with a Quality department that’s involved in building software from the start, not just testing at the end
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ideally have experience leading a globally distributed team
About the team
GitLab’s Quality is everyone’s responsibility. The Quality Department ensures that everyone is aware of what the Quality of the product is, empirically. In addition, we empower our teams to ship world class enterprise software at scale with quality & velocity. In FY24 we will be focused on contributor success & customer results while delivering impact to the company’s bottomline via alignment to top cross-functional initiatives. Key directional highlights; be more customer centric in our work, execute on 10x contributor strategy jointly with Marketing, provide timely operational analytics insights & improve team member engagement. In FY23 we anticipate a large increase of cross-functional activity within the company. Fostering an open-collaborative environment is more important than ever for us to deliver results.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.