Date PostedJune 9, 2023
Expiration dateJune 30, 2023
GitLab is seeking a legal counsel to join their global Privacy team. This team member will primarily focus on EMEA privacy, in particular employee privacy, marketing and entity compliance, but will have the opportunity to be involved in all areas of privacy. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of global privacy laws, in particular EU laws, and experience advising on and implementing data privacy compliance with cross-functional teams with a practical, risk-based approach. In this role, you will report to the VP of Legal, Privacy and Intellectual Property.
What you’ll do in this role
- Provide subject matter expertise on privacy and data protection matters on a global basis within the Legal team and across GitLab
- Help develop and enhance the global privacy program including: privacy operations and documentation; employee training on data privacy and security; policy enforcement; privacy compliance program monitoring and auditing; privacy impact assessments; data transfer documents; records of processing
- Draft external privacy notices and disclosures, and manage/update internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global laws
- Provide privacy support for commercial and vendor agreements to ensure consistency in language used
- Respond to privacy and security related customer and regulatory inquiries and investigations
- Knowledge of privacy and security regulations including GDPR, UK GDPR, CCPA and other global privacy laws, and remain up to date on the laws and regulations
We’re looking for
- Strong legal experience, preferably in a multinational company
- JD/LLB or local law degree equivalent and admission to local governing body
- Experience working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve business issues
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self-starter with strong attention to detail
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage
- Ability to use GitLab
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.