Date PostedJanuary 26, 2024
Expiration dateFebruary 13, 2024
Founded by Anwulika Okonjo in 2023, Ijeruka is an innovative educational technology startup uniting the global African diaspora through collective learning and exploration. We create virtual learning experiences with visionary African-descendant minds that amplify paradigm-shifting perspectives on culture, consciousness and social change. Through our online courses, events and community, enable anyone, anywhere to explore the wealth of wisdom people of African descent hold, and experience impactful dialogues across disciplines, generations and geographies. At Ijeruka, we believe in the power of education to reshape narratives and inspire a global Pan-African renaissance, bringing together diverse perspectives for a richer, more inclusive future.
About the role
As the inaugural Learner Acquisition and Outreach Lead at Ijeruka, you will be the driving force behind our community’s growth. Your role is pivotal in developing and executing innovative sales strategies, focusing on attracting and engaging both individual learners and enterprise customers to join our enriching courses and membership programs. Your proactive and relationship-driven approach will be key in identifying and nurturing leads, ensuring their conversion into active members of our community. In this role, you’ll need to be deeply in-tune with Ijeruka’s ecosystem, having a keen understanding of our ideal customers. You will embody our brand values and culture in the sales process and have the exciting opportunity to create and establish our sales strategy and systems from the ground up. We’re seeking someone who is not only passionate about Ijeruka’s mission but also ready to roll up their sleeves in this dynamic, collaborative startup environment.
Priority One: Sales Strategy Development & Implementation:
- Develop and execute effective sales strategies, encompassing both B2C and B2B channels. This includes creating customer journey maps and sales funnels.
- Work closely with the marketing team to align sales strategies with broader marketing campaigns.
Performance analysis and reporting
- Conduct in-depth analysis of sales performance, identifying trends, challenges, and opportunities. Use insights to make data-driven adjustments to the sales strategy to meet enrollment targets.
- Present monthly sales / member acquisition report in a clear format for team review, providing clear and actionable insights.
Lead Generation and Conversion:
- Conduct thorough research to identify and target ideal customer segments for both individual learners and enterprise clients.
- Develop a sophisticated lead nurturing process that efficiently moves leads from initial contact to active membership.
- Collaborate closely with the Community Manager and Marketing team to ensure a cohesive approach to customer experience.
- Utilise advanced CRM tools for efficient tracking and management of all sales interactions, ensuring a smooth flow from initial contact to closing.
- Engage with stakeholders regularly to ensure high satisfaction and identify upselling or cross-selling opportunities.
Proactive Relationship Building and Networking:
- Research and compile targeted and strategic lists for member and partner outreach and engagement.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Partnerships lead and Community Manager to identify and leverage existing relationships and networks within Ijeruka for learner acquisition and membership growth opportunities.
- Actively build and maintain relationships with potential leads, educational institutions, organisations, and influencers.
Sales Inquiry and Customer Interaction Management:
- Handle all membership and course enrollment-related inquiries, providing detailed and informative responses to prospective learners, members, and partners.
- Take the lead in acquisition calls and emails, showcasing Ijeruka’s offerings persuasively.
Skills and experience:
- Proven experience in sales, in both B2C and B2B environments.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- Proficiency in CRM tools and data analysis.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think strategically.
- Background in education, online learning, or experience in creating content and experiences for African and Afro-diasporic communities.
- Proficient with Hubspot, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, and similar sales tools
- The ability to develop trusting and compatible relationships and work effectively as part of a team in a startup environment.
- Willingness to work according to our values, with enthusiasm for our vision and mission.
Ideal Candidate Characteristics:
- Proactive and Outcome-Focused: Eager to take initiative, with a keen focus on achieving tangible results in terms of enrollments and membership growth.
- Relationship-Driven: Ability to build and nurture relationships, understanding the importance of long-term connections.
- In-Tune with Ijeruka’s Ecosystem: Deep understanding of the needs, desires, and motivations of Ijeruka’s potential customers and our brand mission, vision and values.
- Collaborative Spirit: Thrives in a team environment, recognizing the value of working together towards common goals.
- Innovative and Agile: Capable of adapting strategies to an evolving market and customer base, bringing creative solutions to challenges.
This contract will fixed-term for 12 months with a strong possibility for extension.
- You will work 5 days every week to a total of 35 hours.
- You’ll be expected to work during our collaborative hours of 2-6pm WAT, as this overlaps with our team based in West Africa. Outside of this you’ll have flexibility over your hours depending on the needs of your role and team.
- The role will require someone who is proactive, passionate and adaptable. We are small, collaborate startup, which means you will have to be comfortable with embrace flexibility, learning on the fly, and the responsibility of time-sensitive tasks which may not always sit within your chosen working hours.
We take the wellbeing of our team very seriously so part of the interview process will be to discuss ideas for managing this well.
We’re happy to welcome people to become part of our team as a freelance contractor. We are unable to sponsor visas.
In addition to compensation, Ijeruka offers:
- Flexible work hours and remote work
- 20 days of paid holiday per year (inclusive of any public holidays you decide to take off)
- Flexibility for mental health or menstrual leave.
- Wellbeing checkins and treats
- An ambitious, impact-driven, tech-based, empowering working environment to uplift Africa and Afro-diasporic cultures, wisdom and communities.
- Virtual coffees and fun questions to encourage connections.
- Free access to all Ijeruka online courses and events.
- Opportunities to connect with our beautiful, inspiring global community.
To apply, please complete the application using this link: https://formless.ai/c/Io9DIgIf3KyS
- Please note that due to the high number of applications we receive and our small team size, we will only respond to applicants who are accepted to the next stage.
- Stage 0: Shortlisting application questions and CV.
- Stage 1: 1 hour recruitment task.
- Stage 2: 45min Interview with CEO.
Recruitment will be subject to the receipt of at least 1 reference.
Stage 0: Application Questions Preview
- Describe a time when you’ve shown compassion to others while working together.
- Which thinkers or leaders inspire you? If you had a choice, who would you invite to teach with Ijeruka, and why?
- What’s a conversation you think we should be having in relation to people of African descent on the continent and in the diaspora?
- Tell us about a time you educated someone about a social issue or cultural topic.
- What’s something you’ve been working on for yourself recently?
- Why do you want to work at Ijeruka?