Date PostedOctober 17, 2023
Expiration dateNovember 7, 2023
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. Since launching in 2011, GD has raised over $1B, delivered cash to more than 1.5 million recipients, launched operations in 15 countries, and continues to expand its reach across the Global South. GD has also grown the research base supporting unconditional cash with 20 randomized control trials from its programs, generating rigorous evidence across countries and contexts. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life,Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
The Human Resource Assistant will be a key member of the Human Resource team. The role will help ensure smooth communication between the HR department and the team, and prompt resolution of requests and questions. Your role will be extremely important as you will be developing programs to improve performance, engagement and satisfaction of our employees.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to the Human Resources Manager
- Contribute to the development, implementation and training of staff on core HR initiatives
- Assist in seeking and selecting candidates that meet the ideal criteria on an ongoing basis; including advertisement, interviewing and background checks.
- Coordinate communication with candidates and schedule interviews
- Conduct initial orientation to newly hired employees
- In conjunction with other members of the HR Unit support staff in interpretation of HR policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Provide support to employees in various HR-related topics such as leave requests and balances.
- Enhance job satisfaction by resolving issues promptly, applying new perks and benefits and organizing team building activities;
- Compile and keep our dynamic HR records well organized and up to date at all times.
- Support process documentation and prepare reports relating to staff activities (staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations etc)
- Coordinate HR projects (meetings, trainings, surveys etc) and take minutes
- Support in management of country program insurance scheme management
- Assist in payroll preparation by compiling relevant data (absences, bonus, leaves, etc)
- Keep abreast with new trends and best practices in the field
- Minimum 2 years generalist HR experience and knowledge of best practices, preferably gained within the NGO sector
- Relevant post graduate degree in HR or a related field of study is an added advantage
- Familiarity with current employment laws and regulations and their application
- Hands on experience with HR software (HRIS)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in G-suite
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly values
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to [email protected].
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**