Date PostedJuly 4, 2023
Offered Salary$172000 - $195000 / year
Expiration dateJuly 31, 2023
Hi, I’m Kitt, VP of Engineering at Customer.io.
I’m looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Strategic Accounts Squad. This individual will work with our Product Manager and Technical Lead to drive feature development, utilizing input from strategic accounts to influence the roadmap and prioritization of features, providing the most benefit to the entire customer base. Our ideal candidate will have experience building and leading engineering teams specializing in ensuring the satisfaction and retention of key customers.
While your influence is important across the entire engineering organization, your most important responsibility will be to lead your software engineering squad through product discovery that helps identify and break our product goals into technical projects.
As an Engineering Manager at Customer.io, you will…
- Initiate, influence, and drive technical projects within your squad, ensuring our solutions are scalable, architecturally sound, flexible, and secure, and that technical debt is incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time
- Empower the engineers and dev leads in your squad to succeed by identifying how to measure success and mentor them on how to achieve those goals
- Build and maintain a partnership with your Product Management and Design peers
- Champion our culture. We strive to be inclusive, cooperative, and empathetic.
- Recruit and hire new team members, with an emphasis on increasing our diversity.
- Improve our processes, and identify gaps in how we work.
- Work directly within your squad to create accountability for delivery timelines, promote healthy work culture, and ensure quality in new product features.
- Be an advocate for our vision of a great product team: Product Management defines problems and outcomes, while Engineering & Design define the solutions.
We’re looking for someone who is…
- An experienced Engineering Manager at an established, high-growth SaaS company
- Demonstrates the ability to understand technical architecture, review design work, and provide feedback to a talented team of engineers
- Has a broad engineering background and deep experience leading full-stack teams
- An experienced leader who makes people and teams around you better through direct yet kind feedback, effective mentorship, and proactive collaboration
- Preferably 7+ years of experience as a Fullstack/Backend Software Engineer
- Preferably 5+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager/Tech Lead
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 5,200 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, push notifications, and in-app messages. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We offer a starting salary of USD $172,000 – $195,000 USD (or equivalent in local currency) depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 16 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, workshops, and passion projects – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Opportunities to meet in-person with your peers throughout the year
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete a background check and employment verifications as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! We will respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process (order is subject to change):
- 30 minute video call with Recruiter
- 60 minute video call with two potential teammates
- Homework assignment + 60 minute Review call with two potential teammates
- Final 30 minute call with Kitt, the Hiring Manager