Date PostedJanuary 24, 2024
Expiration dateFebruary 6, 2024
Founded by Anwulika Okonjo in 2023, Ijeruka is an innovative educational technology startup uniting the global African diaspora through collective learning and exploration. We create virtual learning experiences with visionary African-descendant minds that amplify paradigm-shifting perspectives on culture, consciousness and social change. Through our online courses, events and community, enable anyone, anywhere to explore the wealth of wisdom people of African descent hold, and experience impactful dialogues across disciplines, generations and geographies. At Ijeruka, we believe in the power of education to reshape narratives and inspire a global Pan-African renaissance, bringing together diverse perspectives for a richer, more inclusive future.
As a small, agile and collaborative startup, this is an expansive role, so we are looking for someone who can roll up their sleeves, be proactive and who is passionate and excited about Ijeruka’s work.
About the role
The Creative Content Lead at Ijeruka is responsible for crafting and managing engaging and impactful content across our digital platforms. This role requires a blend of creativity, technical skills in content creation, and an understanding of social media dynamics to support our marketing, sales, and community initiatives.
- Graphic Design and Video Editing: Design compelling graphics and edit videos for use on social media, our website, and YouTube.
- Content Creation: Develop creative content that aligns with Ijeruka’s brand and messaging goals, driving traffic and engagement.
- Social Media Management: Write captivating social media copy, manage posts, and engage with the community through our social channels.
- Public Relations (PR): Assist in PR activities to enhance Ijeruka’s brand visibility and reputation.
- Performance Reporting: Collaborate with Marketing manager on monthly reporting on content performance, identifying successful strategies, top-performing content, and other useful insights.
- Collaboration: Work closely with the Marketing, Sales, and Community teams to identify opportunities for increasing brand visibility and engagement.
- Content Strategy Development: Contribute to the overall content strategy, ensuring alignment with organisational goals.
- Trend Analysis: Stay updated with the latest trends in content creation and social media, applying innovative approaches to content.
- Feedback Integration: Gather and incorporate community feedback to refine content strategies.
Skills and experience
- Design skills: Experience in graphic design, audio and video editing for content with varying levels of complexity – proficiency with Canva, Photoshop, Descript, and Premier Pro.
- Copywriting: you’ll write clear and concise copy for a range of different channels. You will be an expert at adapting tone of voice and ensuring posts and content inform and engage.
- Data-informed storytelling: You know what makes a good, engaging piece of content across different platforms. You can turn data and audience analytics into content that are understandable, engaging, and relevant to audiences. You have a strong understanding of social media KPIs, website traffic metrics and SEO and can use these insights to inform future content strategies.
- Active Reading and Horizon Scanning: Upskilling and improving knowledge on key topics related to Ijeruka and current trends in digital media and content creation.
- Creative and strategic brilliance: Stay focused on the big picture every day when delivering work, prioritising outcomes over outputs. You will ideate innovative social media and content strategies that push boundaries, infuse creativity into every aspect of planning and execution, and continuously seek fresh ideas and innovative approaches.
- Proactivity and independence: Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Project and time management: You are responsive and comprehensive in your project management, are comfortable speaking with relevant stakeholders, and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Stress Management and Adaptability: Adapting when unexpected issues arise, being able to manage and surpass stressful situations.
- Experience in the online learning / education industry
This contract will fixed-term for 12 months with a strong possibility for extension.
- On average 2-3 days a week. Hours for this role are flexible. What’s more important is execution of all assigned tasks.
- You’ll be expected to be reachable during our collaborative hours of 2-6pm WAT, as this overlaps with our team based in West Africa. Outside of this you’ll have flexibility over your hours depending on the needs of your role and team.
- The role will require someone who is proactive, passionate and adaptable. We are small, collaborate startup, which means you will have to be comfortable with embrace flexibility, learning on the fly, and the responsibility of time-sensitive tasks which may not always sit within your chosen working hours.
We take the wellbeing of our team very seriously so part of the interview process will be to discuss ideas for managing this well.
We’re happy to welcome people to become part of our team as a freelance contractor. We are unable to sponsor visas.
In addition to compensation, Ijeruka offers:
- Flexible work hours and remote work
- 20 days of paid holiday per year (inclusive of any public holidays you decide to take off)
- Flexibility for mental health or menstrual leave.
- Wellbeing checkins and treats
- An ambitious, impact-driven, tech-based, empowering working environment to uplift Africa and Afro-diasporic cultures, wisdom and communities.
- Virtual coffees and fun questions to encourage connections.
- Free access to all Ijeruka online courses and events.
- Opportunities to connect with our beautiful, inspiring global community.
To apply, please complete the application using this link: https://formless.ai/c/S3iwVZtmnBTv
- Please note that due to the high number of applications we receive and our small team size, we will only respond to applicants who are accepted to the next stage.
- Stage 0: Shortlisting application questions and CV.
- Stage 1: 1 hour recruitment task.
- Stage 2: 45min Interview with CEO.
Recruitment will be subject to the receipt of at least 1 reference.
Stage 0: Application Questions Preview
- Describe a time when you’ve shown compassion to others while working together.
- Which thinkers or leaders inspire you? If you had a choice, who would you invite to teach with Ijeruka, and why?
- What’s a conversation you think we should be having in relation to people of African descent on the continent and in the diaspora?
- Tell us about a time you educated someone about a social issue or cultural topic.
- What’s something you’ve been working on for yourself recently?
- Why do you want to work at Ijeruka?