Date PostedFebruary 1, 2024
Expiration dateFebruary 21, 2024
We believe that games should be played for decades but many are abandoned even when a loyal community is screaming to keep them alive. DECA specializes in acquiring games from other developers and reinvigorating them to continue to entertain for decades. When other studios see an old game, we see a fantastic set of problems to solve and a huge opportunity.
DECA is a remote company with over 300 people in over 30 countries globally. DECA is also a part of the Embracer Group, the largest public gaming company in Europe.
About our culture
We’ve managed to maintain a small company feel with the stability and resources of a much larger one. We fully believe in the flexibility of a remote workplace. Team members are trusted to manage their time and get things done independently. We think that egos and politics need to be checked at the virtual door. That means no jerks are allowed, that no job is too small for anyone, and an openness to help and learn from each other is required. We love the challenge of working within constraints and love when we succeed as a team. Check out more about us and our values on our website (www.decagames.com).
This is a remote position. You can work from anywhere in the world in the CET timezone (9 am – 6 pm CET).
About the role
As a Backend Software Engineer at DECA, you will work with the core engineering team to develop free-to-play MMORPG games on PC and console. You will be working with a team of very talented software engineers to architect, build, and maintain exceptional gameplay systems and powerful tools. You will help define and implement new features while supporting existing tools and pipelines.
If you have a passion for game development, strong C skills, love challenges, and want to work on the biggest MMO games, we want you to be part of our exciting journey.
- Work with technical managers to design new features and updates.
- Work with other engineers, including cross-team, in a collaborative fashion.
- Work with game team QA on developing test plans for new releases.
- Work on backend services.
- Work on infrastructure, including builders, packaging, and patching.
- Work on low-level shared utility code, including encryption, logging, and networking.
- Monitor live game health, including game client/server crashes, and errors.
- Own gameplay systems, including AI, UI, and other elements.
- Setup & maintain builders and packaging tools.
- Highly proficient in C programming and debugging.
- Highly proficient at analyzing and understanding asynchronous interaction between services.
- Experience developing production systems that handle large-scale workloads with low latency.
- Experience with Windows game development.
- Experience with Console development for PlayStation and Xbox.
- Experience profiling code for performance, including on console.
- Experience with multi-threaded code, including debugging.
- Experience with memory management, including debugging.
- Experience with Visual Studio 2017 onwards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent experience).
- Remote first company culture.
- Flexible work hours to support a personal work-life balance.
- Weekly remote Embodiment@Work breathing and workout exercises.
- Online language classes: English, German, French, Spanish, etc.
- Working in a multicultural environment with people from over 30 different countries.
- Flat hierarchies with an open-door policy.